Home :: Artists :: About :: FAQ :: Forums :: Links :: Shop :: Contact

Go Back   hybridized.org Forums > General Discussion > Hybrid General Discussion

Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I believe. Don't cook me.

c-Row
Send a message via ICQ to c-Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3wd View Post
Also, yes...somebody else compose the strings for Hybrid's albums. Is that a little lame? Maybe.
Basically just as lame as someone writing lyrics for another band's track. Which means WOW would just be as lame as Hybrid.

c-Row on SOUNDCLOUD | The Interwebs
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 PM

SurrealBreaks is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SurrealBreaks Send a message via Skype™ to SurrealBreaks

Funny thing I was checking the official website like last night to check up on the progress. This is great news. I hope the boys don't disappoint, and I hope with the album we get a tour here in the US, cause they've been gone a long time.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Forward!

vinnie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to vinnie97 Send a message via MSN to vinnie97 Send a message via Yahoo to vinnie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
Basically just as lame as someone writing lyrics for another band's track. Which means WOW would just be as lame as Hybrid.
Except Hybrid already do that, too, so it's double entendre.

And jewd, incidentally, I have come to like Wow's sampling aesthetic quite a bit...I am regularly surprised how they take disparaging elements from elusive sources and meld them together into their own creative piece. The flute layering (from a musician they commissioned) in "Bodymotion" is quite intriguing in and of itself. I guess Hybrid is, in effect, doing the same with the compositions created for them via sheet music...but it's way more overt, in your face, grandiose and showy.

And I am not really sure you can list one artist as the sole instigator behind the orchestral component of film...maybe I'm omitting it by my own bias but musical movements tend to be collective and it's not always easy (or fair) or accurate to ascribe it to one particular artist.

I enjoyed Sphongle very much at the beginning (upon discovery nearly a decade ago) but I've grown weary of the meandering psychedelia over time.

Please correct me if I'm overstepping here but I get the sense that the tech/minimal movement has largely passed you by. I have a great appreciation for the creativity that some artists in that realm are expressing. For instance, Kruder (of Kruder & Dorfmeister fame) and this mind melt of a tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLOdzmpwhWU - the transparency, airiness and openness are something to behold...and it still manages to retain some funk with a pretty nasty bassline.

My stance basically revolves around preferring less (forced) artificial melding of the organic with the electronic...which is exactly what these big orchestral jam sessions end up inevitably doing.

Last edited by vinnie97 : 10-29-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 PM

DrQuack02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing!! Going to be a killer track...no one can create such lush sounding tracks...

Guess this marks the start of round four of the WOW > Hybrid battle...

Also there is a stringless version of this track...so perhaps Hybrid created it with synths and had Skeet give his input and then orchestrate?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Forward!

vinnie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to vinnie97 Send a message via MSN to vinnie97 Send a message via Yahoo to vinnie97

I'll raise you one lush with "One Bright Night." Anyway, said battle is likely already a lost cause since this is hybridized.org, after all (though I have a couple troops on my side).

I anticipate hearing the stringless version all the same.

Last edited by vinnie97 : 10-29-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Liberal Mugged by Reality

face is an unknown quantity at this point

guerrilla warfare ftw.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:31 AM

j3wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I enjoyed Sphongle very much at the beginning (upon discovery nearly a decade ago) but I've grown weary of the meandering psychedelia over time.
You don't need to remind me what a great discovery Shpongle was back in the day. "Are You Shpongled" was incredibly seminal for me. What you're saying here indicates a few things. One, you want to be sure we all know you discovered them around day one. Two, to make it clear you see through their "meandering psychedelia" and are unimpressed ten years later. What I don't understand is what truthfully prompted you to jump onto the WOW fanboy train so unwavered. You are highly skeptical of virtually everything I see you write about and yet, aside from a few slightly unimpressed comments here and there (present possibly to avoid suspicion) you're on board with everything WOW does. I actually don't find anything wrong with that. Being a die hard fan can have its place, but I find the surprise you exhibit when others don't have the same views somewhat blind. It could possibly be, vinnie, that WOW are just as good and flawed as the groups you seem to take issue with.

That said, yes I think Hybrid are somewhat ostentatious. No, the minimal/tech movement hasn't passed me by. I do find it incredibly difficult to keep up to speed with, though. In the end, I'm writing and composing, learning and focusing on the music I want to hear. I have an appreciation for those who do it differently. You want a fairly substantial reason why people go for Hybrid over WOW? Hybrid tend to tug at that intensely dramatic, ostentatious chord that a band like Muse might also be said to effect. This might be looked at as "too easy" or "cheap" but it does the trick and Hybrid continually find slightly new methods at getting there. I haven't read enough to know why WOW makes music. I do recall Jody saying something to the effect of "I play blips and bleeps for drunk people." That's not the kind of musical ethos I'm going to be drawn to.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 AM
I believe. Don't cook me.

c-Row
Send a message via ICQ to c-Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Except Hybrid already do that, too, so it's double entendre.
Well, it's either that or the lyrical finesse of "Bobymotion"

c-Row on SOUNDCLOUD | The Interwebs
Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM

DrQuack02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone else happy that HGW isn't doing the strings for the new album?

I think he does great work for film scores, but otherwise there isn't much variation...I thought it made some of the ICN tracks a bit over the top.

Skeets work on MSF was a lot more varied, and seemed more organic to me...you could pick out individual instrument parts....

That said I'd still love to get my hands on that Caspian Remix and Escaping London Dub...
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Formerly HybridY4K

The Wizard's Sleeve is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to The Wizard's Sleeve Send a message via Yahoo to The Wizard's Sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuack02 View Post
Is anyone else happy that HGW isn't doing the strings for the new album?

I think he does great work for film scores, but otherwise there isn't much variation...I thought it made some of the ICN tracks a bit over the top.

Skeets work on MSF was a lot more varied, and seemed more organic to me...you could pick out individual instrument parts....

That said I'd still love to get my hands on that Caspian Remix and Escaping London Dub...
I'm very happy and I totally agree. The HGW strings on ICN were far too obvious for a Hybrid album. Previous Hybrid albums had tended to focus on unusual string arrangements and unusual vocalists which may be part of the reason their first two albums had such longevity for me personally. I did like ICN but it felt like more of a hotch potch of tracks than a cohesive album (Perry Farrell also ruined Dogstar imo, it was a perfectly good track without the vocals).

I hope we see something with a little more grit from Hybrid this time.